Monday, July 1, 2013

Living Small

Our dream is to live sustainably, green, free, happy, simple, small. We want to have a small farm that we grow fruits and vegetables, raise chickens, goats, a pig and a cow or two. To be able to feed ourselves for most of the year. (we live in Vermont so the growing season is very short)

Our goal seems so far away. We don't have a house or land. We live in an apartment, in the center of town.

We are going to the bank very soon to see how much we can get for a home loan. I am so nervous. I know I have good credit, but I have a car loan and school loans. My boyfriend has newish credit, and has a car loan. I feel we make decent money for our education and current jobs. But I don't really know the whole mortgage process.

I hate the thought of money holding you back from your dreams. I know we live in a material world, and money is life, but I wish it wasn't so.

So how can we get around this? Living smaller. I have a few books on farming on a very small piece of land and being able to feed your family for the year. Also there is a place that builds modular homes at an affordable rate(so I've heard) and you can have it custom built. So why not live smaller. Build the house just as big as you need it. We don't need a huge livingroom to entertain. We don't have a ton of friends(only a few great ones) and we have a small family, on both sides. I like entertaining outside better anyways. We only plan on having two kids, so we need 3 small bedrooms.

Here are some small homes I have been pinning
They are all too small, but it gives us some ideas


source
source

Do you live small? We want to hear about it!
Comment below

No comments:

Post a Comment